IN a week where the future of the UK music indsutry was up for debate in Parliament, another huge blow was dealt with the news Glastonbury 2021 has been cancelled.
The news was announced earlier today on the event’s Twitter page.
“With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place,” said festival organisers Michael and Emily Eavis.
“And that this will be another enforced fallow year for us. Tickets for this year will roll over to next year. Michael & Emily.”
With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place, and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us. Tickets for this year will roll over to next year. Full statement below and on our website. Michael & Emily pic.twitter.com/SlNdwA2tHd
— Glastonbury Festival (@glastonbury) January 21, 2021
Last month, organiser Emily Eavis said she was hoping the event could still go ahead despite “huge uncertainty” around live music during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We’re doing everything we can on our end to plan and prepare but I think we’re still quite a long way from being able to say we’re confident 2021 will go ahead.” Eavis said Glastonbury lost “millions” in 2020. Her father, Michael, has previously warned the festival “would seriously go bankrupt” if they had to cancel again next year. However confirmed bankruptcy is unlikely “as long as we can make a firm call either way in advance.
At the start of this year, MPs were warned that some of the country’s biggest festivals could be cancelled by the end of January. Anna Wade, of Boomtown Fair, said festivals are “rapidly approaching the determination point” and organisers will be in “absolute dire straits” financially if the 2021 festival season is completely cancelled.